Sydney, Australia

I do not have a "bucket list" per se, however, in addition to the Niki de Saint Phalle Tarot Garden that we saw in Italy this past summer, I have long wanted to be in Sydney, Australia for the Sculpture-by-the-Sea exhibition on Bondi Beach, and this looked like a good chance to go. It was the 23rd edition of the world-famous event, and I got there early to lend a hand.


On my first day, I joined a small international crew assisting Lea Kannar-Lichtenberger with the installation of her piece, Septem Oceanus Despoiled. It was work but great fun.

Lea with Director and Founder, David Handley
There were other artists busily installing their works. And others still waiting for their pieces to be delivered to the sites.

Tetsuro Yamasaki with Circle
Geraldo Zamproni with More Than It Seems
Mitsuo Takeuchi, and wife, with Transfiguration “Screw” XIV
The exhibition site was in four contiguous parts beginning at the Bondi Icebergs Club to Marks Park (Locally pronounced as "Maahks Paahk," so when I included the 'r', locals had no idea what I was talking about.) where there were lots of sculptures, as well as a pavilion of smaller pieces. The path, lined with sculptures, continued on to Tamarama Beach. Where there were lots more artworks in the sand, on the rocks, and on the grass. There were 111 artists participating from 23 countries, this year.

behind Tamarama Beach

The next day, after installing and hoisting the flags for twenty of the twenty-three countries represented, I helped out with Marguerite Derricourt's installation of, Of Earth and Air, as well as Morgan Jones and his top award winning The Sun Also Rises. I just went wherever I was needed.

Christabel Wigley with Night Moves
I was off the next day, so took advantage of one of the volunteer perks, which is free transportation on all of Sydney's public transit, which was a real pleasure. I began by going downtown and then taking a ferry to the other side of Port Jackson Bay (which includes Sydney and other harbors), past the famous opera house, to Manly Beach to find some sculptures. I found a few, but mostly lots of tourists and flies.
Wind and Wave by Lenton Parr, 1988
Oceanides by Helen Leete, 1998
Eastern Blue Grouper by Tim Johnmann
Sandstone Sea themed boulder by Ishi Buki, 2002
Eastern Water Dragon
Back in Sydney, I found the Museum of Contemporary Art right there at quayside. And since the admission was free, I stopped in. Not expecting much, I was not disappointed. Here is the only piece I found worth shooting.


Meanwhile, back at SxS they were busily finishing the installations. And I should mention that Bondi Beach has some public art of its own.

 
I took another ferry to find Wendy Whiteley's Secret Garden on Lavender Bay. A very nice spot, and after a walk-around, I took the train back over the bay to the Art Gallery of New South Wales.

Harbour Cycles by Richard Byrnes, 2009
 Foxie by Clary Akon, 2007

This is a great museum, and not just because of the terrific art it houses. There were many ways that they showed extreme consideration for their visitors. In the first gallery I entered, I found many paintings by women artists.

paintings by:
Constance Roth, Mary Stoddard, Emily Meston, and Margaret Fleming
Weary by Florence Fuller, 1888
Flowers and grapes hanging from a ring by Maria van Oosterwijck, c1670-80
Mignon by Elizabeth Stanhope Forbes, 1890
Deux personnages assis (Intimite) by Maria Vorobieff-Stebelska (Marevna), c 1915-17
Grandmere by Hilda Rix Nicholas, c 1914
High tide at St. Malo by Ethel Carrick, c1911-12
While in this gallery I heard some wonderful piano music, but did not go out to seek the source. When I did, I found a young man playing a grand piano while standing in the middle of the piano, walking, while playing the keys upside down. And probably backwards.


A very diverse display, there was everything from Aboriginal to Pre-Raphaelite and Symbolist to old favorites from Europe.

Tutini (Pukumani grave posts) 1958
Untitled by Boxer Milner Tjampitjin, 1998
Winding the Skein by Frederic Leighton, c 1878
The visit of the Queen of Sheba to King Solomon by Edward John Poynter, 1881-90.
Cimon and Iphigenia by Frederic Leighton, 1884
A Juggler by Lawrence Alma-Tadema, 1870
Cleopatra by Lawrence Alma-Tadema, 1875
Artemis and Hyperion by George Frederic Watts, C1881


Three bathers by Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, 1913
Seated nude with necklace by Amedeo Modigliani, 1917
 L'homme au foulard rouge by Chaim Soutine, c 1921
 And check out this painting (Pastoral) from 1894 by Arthur Streeton.


The Royal Botanic Garden (1816) is right next door.


And that led me to the downtown district where I found more art.


Bird Totem by Adrian Mauriks, 1988
Crossed Blades by Alexander Calder, 1967
Water, Fire and Earth sculpture by Gerard Havekes, 1961
Yininmadyemi - Thou didst let fall by Tony Albert, 2015
It's not always about Art. I did have the oysters (and beer) at Morrison's and then grabbed a chicken schnitzel - or "schnitty" if you will - at the historic Unicorn Hotel.

 
One day, I took a bus west to Newtown and the University of Sydney. The former, for its street art. The later, for a couple of sculptures.

Gapstone by Josef Paulini
Heaven's Door by Ayako Saito, 2018
King Gilgamesh by Lewis Batros, 2000
 Individuals by Andrew Rogers, 2013
SxS was in full swing, as I spent two days in a booth selling programs, hats, books, and more.  Mostly, we directed people to the restrooms located behind our booth.  Here are a few pieces.
See the rest here.


I brought the parts with me to construct a dog which I donated to the Sydney Dogs & Cats Home, which was, fortunately, purchased at auction.

Surf-Boarder Collie in native habitat, Bondi Beach

Here are some last shots before its time to go.


No comments: